Monday, September 24, 2007

Thoughts on the readings

I found the information in Chapter 10 on obituaries to be really interesting. I had truly never thought about obituary writing as a crafted form of journalism.

The book gave the tip of checking the newspaper library when writing an obituary. The deceased may have given an interview earlier in his or her life. Their quotes may be pertinent and make for a good addition to their obituary.

The section on interviewing the family also was very helpful. I would personally worry about approaching a family for an interview during the difficult time, but it is good to remember that many families may want to share stories and memories of the deceased, in hopes that he or she will have a worthy obituary.

This chapter really showed me that obituary writing is an art. I expected obituary writers to fall back on form journalism, which I'm sure, some do. But it's the one's who take the duty as a responsibility to the deceased who are doing the job justics.

No comments: