Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Thoughts on the readings

Chapter 1: The Crime Beat

The crime story has natural drama - something that I really learned just last night.

Last night at The Ithacan I was editing a public safety story about a string of car break-ins. The writer had written the story so that it was really convoluted and had added suspense. For me, it was the first time that I had edited a public safety story, and I was confused as to where I should start cutting. Ultimately, I started to simplify, and told the story through the quotes from those who were witnesses. And still - without all of the added drama - the story is amazingly interesting. It is written in a clear and concise manner that is easy to read.

I enjoyed journalist Russel Baker's advice for dealing with criticism as a crime reporter: "It happened, didn't it?" He said that keeping it out of the paper can't make it unhappen. Journalists are constantly criticized for what we do print or what we don't print. All that we can really do is print the truth. We can print what happened and do so through the voices of those who were there.

I think it's interesting that the chapter notes the fact that we as journalists may be arrested while covering a story. It's a strange reality, but one that journalists have to be prepared for. The chapter suggests carrying credentials and wearing them prominently, knowing state laws regarding public vs. private property, have a plan of action prepared in case of a conflict with an officer and don't use verbal or physical abuse. Finally, they remind us to BE A JOURNALIST, and take notes about the circumstance of your arrest. I suppose you should follow the event as though you were writing a story on it.


Chapter 5: Covering Crime and its Victims

I think it's important to remember that there are a lot of victims when crime occurs. There are the obvious - the ones involved in the police report. But then there are less obvious victims. There are neighbors who's streets may be swarmed with reporters. There are family members who's lives may be completely disrupted. It is important to consider everyone who is being inconvenienced by a crime.

The chapters tips for interviewing in crime stories were really helpful to me. I think compassion can go a long way when interviewing victims of crime. Allowing people to take their time and reminding them that they can do so will create a much easier environment and allow the person to feel comfortable. Also, letting them narrate after asking a simple - tell me what happened - question, may be the best way to get information from a source. It allows them to take you back to the crime and candidly tell you what happened.

Chapter 7: Covering the Courts

Truthfully, I hope that I never have to cover court cases. It really sounds like tedious reporting to me, reporting that would be riddled with a lot of legal jargon which I would have to interpret. Still, I realize the importance of knowing how to cover the courts, because journalists can no designate where and when news happens.

I think that journalists who cover the court have a unique responsibility to readers. Because so many court cases are closed to the public, it is the journalists job to translate the workings and inform the public. Furthermore, because the language used in courts can be very lofty and hard to understand, journalists have to translate the workings into easier thoughts.

I think it's interesting that while reporters have the right to free press, given by the First Amendment, those on court have the right to a fair trial, given by the Sixth Amendment. The two clearly come in conflict quite often. Information journalists may report on could sway public opinion and therefore sway a case. Because of this, some cases may be closed to journalists. The chapter points out that journalists should not be afraid to stand up, approach the bench and make an objection to the closing of a proceeding. It says we should as for a recess to consult with our editors about legal representation in seeking to oppose the closure. I really would have never considered that journalists could be that vocal in a court room.

No comments: